First thing's first

Saturday, December 29, 2007






My first attempt at sewing was a nappy.....


When I was pregnant with my 10 month old son, I decided I wanted to use cloth nappies. My main motivations were to save money, and to have softer fabrics against his skin.

Once he turned a few months old, I was ready to start him in cloth. I started with fitted terry towelling nappies and then discovered modern cloth nappies. Oh My!!! I love these nappies!! My favourites are AIOs (all in ones). I purchased a few second hand ones and then I had my mother buy me some new ones for my 30th birthday (gee, how priorities change once kids come along!).


The only problem was the upfront expense. I thought that I could make them for myself for a fraction of the cost. I'm a member on a few forums and one of them was having a nappy making day near by. I jumped at the chance. Remembering I was / am a CRAP sewer, I didn't really know what to expect.


Imagine my surprise when I watched and learned and realised, "hey, I CAN do this!" I made one that day and have since made 4 more. Each time they are getting better. My son wears a combination of bought ones and home made ones and they all do a damn good job!

0 comments: